Thursday, February 05, 2004

My One and Only

“I am my beloved's…and my beloved is mine! His voice and speech are exceedingly sweet; yes, he is altogether lovely – the whole of him…is precious. This is my beloved, and this is my friend…” ~ Song of Solomon 6:3, 16 (Amplified)

I have been blessed
And I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts…
I have been blessed.

Blessed” ~ recorded by Martina McBride

Last week, I wrote about the power of words – both negative and positive – and I used the following verse from Proverbs 16:24 to illustrate my point:

“Pleasant words are as honey, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.”

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner (and with my husband’s permission), I’d like to share some “pleasant words” from two love letters he sent me since I’ve been in Nevada. I’ll take love letters over flowers and candy any day. There is no greater gift.

January 16, 2004

Dear Eileen,

It is Friday night and it occurred to me that you haven’t received a love letter from me since we were dating in high school. This is a love letter, long past due.

By tomorrow, it has been only 14 days since you left. I miss you! As busy as I am with school and all, I must admit my heart aches. To be honest, it kind of surprised me that I began to miss you so much and so soon. I love you so much. I am so thrilled that you have the courage to follow your heart – to do what seems crazy or antithetical to the “norms.” I am so proud of you! I think about you more now than I did when you were here.

Last night as I was looking at your pictures, I took stock of how beautiful you are; how encouraging your smile is; how “deep of spirit” you are. After talking with you today – I’m lovesick! I want to wrap my arms around you, and hold you tight.

Well, it’s 12:15 a.m. – I must get to bed – I have a Saturday class at 9:30 a.m.. I want you to know that I love you and miss you every day that you’re gone.

Walk every day in faith. I love you!

January 22, 2004 – 10:15 p.m.

Dear Eileen,

It’s Thursday night and I miss you. Tonight I had planned to begin research on a brief due next week, but I just had to stop and write you….to tell you just how much I love you, how much less of a man I am without you near me!

Lately, I find myself daydreaming about you. How beautiful you are; what great joy you bring me! Someone asked me, “Isn’t it hard to be away from your wife – and for so long?” I said, “Yes, it is; more than I ever expected.” I even admitted that I’m lovesick. But I never doubt that we are on the right path – God’s plan. I marvel at our path. I look at your picture. I remember your voice, your touch, the sight of you sleeping, the expression on your face when I walk into the house.

In a strange way, this experience has brought me closer to you; it has made my heart yearn – ache, really – for you. There is, and can be, no one other than you. When I close my eyes, I see your smile and it brings comfort to my soul. The sight of you is so pleasant in my eyes; like water to parched soil. You being away has made me love you more than if you were here. How can that be?

You are so precious to me; the most important thing in my life – air to my lungs, blood to my heart, life to my soul. I feel so grateful, that out of all the men in the world, you chose – and continue to choose me as the recipient of your affections. I am the most blessed man in the world.

Truly, I must be lovesick for you. It is such great pleasure to be in love with you, sweet as honey to my heart. I just love you and miss you so much! What I wouldn’t give for a talk on the couch with you right now. I know that you are working so hard out there. What a privilege it is to be a part of God’s plan.

There was a time that I struggled with keeping the balance between my love for you and my love for the study of law. But please know that if I was ever forced to choose, I would choose you without a scintilla of regret. You bring such a relief to my heart and soul, Eileen. You are the custodian of all that I hold dear.

One day – the world will stop for us. On that day, we’ll have all the time, money and opportunity to just be together. Until then, please know that it is such a thrill to stand next to you – and be loved by you.

I am out of words to express how much I love you!

Love,

Keen


“…a word spoken in due season, how good is it!”
~ Proverbs 15:23



Keen & Eileen
Married June 10, 1978