Monday, February 12, 2007

Love Expressed

“I thank my God upon every remembrance of you....”

~ Philippians 1:3 (NKJV)

Recently I came across a poem on the internet that really touched my heart, and I wanted to share it with you for Valentine’s Day. After sending a short note to the author requesting permission to republish the poem, I received the following response:

Dear Eileen,

This is Guy, Connie's husband. Connie has just recently passed away after a long illness, and I am taking care of her emails and stuff. Her policy for poems has always been that yes, you may have permission to re-publish her poem, "A Prayin’ Man" without editing or revision, listing Connie Hinnen Cook as the author. Many of her other poems are available on www.wordchimes.com, www.authorsden.com, and www.skywriting.net, too, with the same policy applying.

Incidentally, Connie was from Cheney and Wichita, Kansas.

Thank you for expanding Connie's ministry.

Blessings,

Guy Cook for Connie Hinnen Cook

*************************

The message of the poem, written as an expression of love from a wife to her husband, reminded me to be ever thankful to God for blessing my life with a loving and faithful husband. It is my hope that when you read Connie’s poem, you too will be inspired to cherish all of your loved ones 365 days a year, and not just on Valentine’s Day.

A Prayin' Man
by Connie Hinnen Cook

As I walked softly in the room
his head was bowed down low,
His hands lay idly in his lap,
his breathing calm and slow.

I thought that he was sleeping
till he opened up his eyes,
He made me want to kiss him
when he said, to my surprise...

"Have I told you that I love you?
I was telling God right now,
Oh, I know He knows already
but I told Him anyhow...

"We both think you're something special
and I know that He'd agree
Nothing bad should ever touch you,
not if it were up to me!"

Prickly goose bumps start to tingle,
icy chills run up my spine,
And sometimes I have to pinch myself:
this prayin' man is mine!

And just before we start our meals
he always says a prayer,
For God to bless the food we eat
and keep us in His care.

I love it when he reaches out
and puts his hand in mine,
And speaking low, he thanks the Lord
when we go out to dine.

He asks the Lord's protection
when we're traveling in the car,
For angels to ride with us
if we're going very far.

I picture one above us,
on the sides, the front, behind,
Our housetop angel waves goodbye,
(but only in my mind).

Girls, you can keep the latest hunk,
I'm not a beef-cake fan,
Stud muffins leave me unimpressed,
give me a prayin' man!

He owns my heart forever
'cause there's nothing stronger than
Words of power, words of blessing
coming from a prayin' man.


"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

~ James 5:16 (KJV)

Guy and Connie on a sunny, windy day in Tulsa, Oklahoma last summer