Thursday, February 17, 2005

Broken Hearts Mending

“Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.”
~ Proverbs 23:7b (KJV)

I can think of younger days
When living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do
I could never see tomorrow
But I was never told about the sorrow

And how can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?

How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart
And let me live again

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart ~ recorded by the Bee Gees

This week I’d like to share the following poems about broken hearts – some which have mended and some mending still.

I’ll start with a short note from a poet friend of mine named Gale Rogers, followed by a poem he wrote – both of which he permitted me to share.

“After being rejected I wrote this poem. I loved your reflections that I just received [“Love’s Second Chance”], but all is not a happy ending. Don't mean to sound so sinister, but it has cut a deep scar. The good of it is it has helped me to rely more on God.”

A River of No Return
By Gale Rogers

There's a river of emotions pouring
out from deep within.
One I can neither control
nor cause to bend.
A river flooding the senses
to an ever growing depth.
With both feelings, of a raging torrent
and calmness of Summer's breath.

A river that ebbs and flows
with each beat of the heart.
Never faintly, always strong,
the current raced from the start.
A river growing wide and deep,
as it reached for more
Chasing a mysteriously forbidden
ever-elusive shore.
A river of emotions racing
toward an ending waterfall,
Knowing there may be no return,
the longing continues, and still the siren calls.

*********

“With pity let my breast o’erflow
When I behold another’s woe;
And bear a sympathizing part,
Whene’er I meet a wounded heart.”

A Treasure of Lincoln Quotations ~
Compiled and Edited by Fred Kerner

This next poem was written after my girlfriend’s marriage ended and she questioned whether she would ever love again.

I Remember
By Eileen Umbehr

I remember the night we stopped by her house
to see if it was true
Had he really broken her heart?
Yes.
He had.
It wasn’t the first time.
But she decided it would be the last.
She cried.
I remember how she cried.
“I’ll never find anyone who will treat me right.”
“Yes, you will,” we said.
“You’re a wonderful person. Someone will see that.”
And someone did.
I remember.
I remember how the light returned to her eyes
and the smile returned to her face.

He was perfect for her.
He called her “Jule.”
Because she was his jewel.
And he was hers.

I remember.

*******

“The heart of a child is the most precious of God's creation.
Never break it. At all costs, never break it.”
~ Joseph L. Whitten

This is a poem I wrote for one of our sons after he went through a painful breakup with his high school sweetheart.

Your broken heart
By Eileen Umbehr

I knew that your heart had been broken
And the betrayal was difficult to bear
I knew that you needed time to heal
And I tried to let you know that I cared

But words seemed so empty and meaningless
When your life had been turned inside out
You lost your best friend – the love of your life
Leaving only confusion and doubt

But I never knew the extent of your pain
Until you told me you still cried at night
After nearly six months, this came as a shock
Grief’s end was nowhere in sight

But then one day God whispered,
“Give your broken heart to Me.”
Then He healed it and gave it back again
And set your spirit free!


“And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love.”
~ I John 4:16


STEADFAST HEART
By Fran Crownover

I've dreamed many dreams that never came true,
I've seen them vanish at dawn,
But I've realized enough of my dreams, Thank God,
To make me want to dream on.

I've prayed many prayers when no answer came,
Though I waited patient and long,
But answers have come to enough of my prayers,
To make me keep praying on.

I've trusted many a friend that failed,
And left me to weep alone,
But I've found enough of my friends true blue,
To make me keep trusting on.

I've sown many seeds that fell by the way,
For the birds to feed upon,
But I've held enough golden sheaves in my hands,
To make me keep sowing on.

I've drained the cup of disappointment and pain,
And gone many ways without song,
But I've sipped enough nectar from the roses of life,
To make me want to live on.

…and for the broken hearts yet mending, I add…

I’ve been pierced in the heart by betrayal’s arrow
And felt the sting of love gone wrong
But I’ve experienced enough of the goodness of God,
To make me want to love on.


“What, what would have become of me had I not believed to see the Lord’s goodness in the land of the living!”
~ Psalm 27:13 (Amp)