Thursday, May 06, 2004

Like Mother, Like Daughter

“Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her; “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”
~ Proverbs 31:28, 29 (RSV)

One day shy of eight years old
My grandma passed away
I was a broken hearted little boy
Blowing out that birthday cake

And how I cried when the sky let go
With a cold and lonesome rain
Mama smiled said "Don't be sad child
Grandma's watching you today."

Cause there's holes in the floor of heaven
And her tears are pouring down
That's how you know she's watchin'
Wishing she could be here now

And sometimes if you're lonely
Just remember she can see
Cause there's holes in the floor of heaven and
She's watchin' over you and me

“Holes in the floor of Heaven” by Billy Kirsch and Steve Warner

I’d like to dedicate this column to my mother, Margaret (Peggy) Van Kirk, who died from breast cancer fifteen years ago on May 7, and to my sister Peggy, who was named after her. Sadly, Mom passed away one day after Peggy’s 40th birthday.

We all miss her terribly, but as the mother of nine (six girls and three boys), she left us the greatest gift of all…..each other.

Moms – God’s Angels on Earth
Author Unknown

The child asked God, "They tell me you are sending me to earth tomorrow, but how am I going to survive, being so small and helpless?"

"Your angel will be waiting for you and will take care of you."

The child further inquired, "But tell me, here in heaven I don't have to do anything but sing and smile to be happy."

God said, "Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you. And you will feel your angel's love and be very happy."

Again the child asked, "How am I going to be able to understand people when they talk to me if I don't know the language?"

God said, "Your angel will tell you the most beautiful words you will ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel will teach you how to speak."

"And what am I going to do when I want to talk to You?"

God said, "Your angel will place your hands together and teach you how to pray."

"Who will protect me?"

"Your angel will defend you even if it means risking her own life."

"But I will always be sad because I will not see You anymore."

God said, "Your angel will always talk to you about Me and will teach you the way to Me, even though I will always be with you."

At that moment there was much peace in heaven, but voices from Earth could be heard and the child hurriedly asked, "God, if I am to leave now, please tell me my angel's name."

The Lord leaned down and whispered softly in the child’s ear. “You will simply call her Mom."

********************

The Anchor
By Eileen Umbehr

The Anchor of our family
sadly passed way
in 1989
on the 7th day of May

She was our dear mother
Peggy was her name
And ever since she left us
We’ve never been the same

She loved all nine of her kids
And she loved all their kids, too
Mom never stopped giving to others
It was all she ever knew
But the cancer took her from us
After seven years of pain
We grieved, but then we knew
She would never hurt again

Now our family has a new Anchor
Her name is Peggy, too
She is our oldest sister
Who loves us through and through

She’s always there when we need her
To lend a helping hand
She’s so much like our mother,
She truly was well named

Even when we were little
She was kind and never mean
And every year on our birthday
She took us to Dairy Queen

Now that we are older
She never misses a chance
To do for us what our mom would have done
No matter the circumstance

When one of our sisters got cancer
Peg was the one to be by her side
And when our very first grandson was born
She came to see him and share in our pride.

Now that her birthday is upon us
I think I can safely say
Everyone in our family
Thanks God for our Anchor this day.




My Mom with Jared – 6 days old & my sister, Peggy with Jared’s firstborn, Asher