Thursday, May 20, 2004

Death’s Sting

“Now also we would not have you ignorant, brethren, about those who fall asleep in death, that you may not grieve for them, as the rest do who have no hope beyond the grave.For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will also bring with Him through Jesus those who have fallen asleep in death.”

~ I Thessalonians 4:13,14

When old folks die
I don’t cry
It’s time

But when the young ones go
It grieves me so

Who can count the cost
Of a young life lost?

The sharpest sorrow
Is for what might have been

Author Unknown


Although I did not know the 29-year-old man who was tragically killed in an auto accident near Alta Vista last week, I do know that he was somebody’s son…. and husband…. and father.

My condolences go out to this young man’s family. It grieves me to think about the depth of their anguish and pain.

I would like to share the following poem which I wrote exactly one year ago in honor of several people from our area who left this world far too soon.


Too soon gone
By Eileen Umbehr

This is a tribute
to those who’ve passed on
Before their time
Too soon gone

No one was ready
To say good-bye
Because they were all
Too young to die

Anthony, Jason and Tracy, too
How will your families live without you?

Javier, Ted, Dickie and Veryl
Why did they have to leave this world?

Jack, Norman, Galen and John
Why are they too soon gone?

There is still a void
where you used to be
An empty spot
on your family’s tree

But even though
you were too soon gone
In our hearts
your memory lives on

You are not only missed
by those who loved you
But by those of us
in the community, too.


**************************

He Listened
By Joseph Bayly

(Written after he laid three of his sons in the grave)


I was sitting, torn by grief. Someone came and talked to me of God’s dealing, of why it happened, of hope beyond the grave. He talked constantly; he said things I knew were true. I was unmoved except to wish he’d go away. He finally did.

Another came and sat beside me. He just sat beside me for an hour and more, listened when I said something, answered briefly, prayed simply, left. I was moved. I was comforted. I hated to see him go.

From Stories of the Heart ~ by Alice Gray


“Now may the Lord of peace Himself grant you His peace… at all times and in all ways – under all circumstances and conditions, whatever comes. The Lord be with you all.”

~ II Thessalonians 3:16